Canticles of the Unhomed

Thursday, December 09, 2004

A Day in the Life

Long day today. I was up before six this morning (which is exceedingly rare for me) to go have breakfast with some buddies and then four of us were going to have a "computer party" at my buddy Jorgen's office. I use the word party very loosely here, since it was four of us fixing and setting up four computers that I salvaged out of six or seven donated old computers. However, getting the computers just to run (with no hardware conflicts) was hard enough, let alone adding windows into the mix. We had the added fun of one of my buddies wasting about an hour trying to get a computer to boot from floppy, only for me (an hour later) to point out that the power cable was not attached to the drive. Yeah. Fun. And then, sitting through the ENDLESS windows updates. But, it has been fun and we are having a great bonding time. My intention was not to use this as a computer bitch session.
So I broke down and did some Christmas shopping. Actually, I did it in August. I ordered it back then because the guy said it would take that long just for it to get here. Shirley is a huge fan of tea, so I ordered her this mand-made Indian (she grew up in India) tea set from this cool export shop here in Edmonton. It just got here today, so i have to go pick it up, which means a trek way over to the west side. However, I think it will be worth it, since I know she'll love it.
That being said, that is it for my participation in useless Christmas traditions.
Release of the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Extended version is slated for Dec 14... I am already organizing a LOTR party to watch all three extended versions back to back on New Years Eve. Cool, huh? Obscenely geeky, huh? However, we are going to be watching it at the Cafe (we're closed that day) on a eight foot screen with full digital surround sound. Sweet. Might be worth a trip from SK... :)
So... still working on computers... will be doing so for awhile. Someone please kill me. :)
:: written by Matt Thompson, 2:31 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment