Canticles of the Unhomed

Friday, December 03, 2004

In For A Penny...

So, here I am getting ready for a job interview. I am interviewing for a position as an Intox worker at the Hope Mission here in Edmonton. The Hope Mission is an inner city mission to homeless people. Since I have decied to go back into full time ministry, I thought this might be a good way to get my feet wet again without getting into a pastoral ministry. Besides, everyone knows that I shouldn't get into pastoral ministry in Edmonton, right? :)
My job would be to basically take care of the intoxicated homeless that come to the mission: get them showered, clean clothes, food, bedded down etc. It will be engrossing, hard work, but I think I'm up to it. And, I think it will be good preparation for the future.
I am a little intimidated, though. I worry about my ability to show real compassion to these people, rather than just demonstrating the smae disdain and disgust that most peope feel when they encounter them. For me, this job will be as much of a spiritual challenge as anything else. I guess that's why I'm doing it.
The interview is in half an hour. I will post my thoughts apres-interview.
BTW... I think Gideon Stark has it.
:: written by Matt Thompson, 2:11 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment