Canticles of the Unhomed

Monday, January 24, 2005

The Dawning of the New Era?

So this Sunday was the first for Sol Cafe without our pastor, Rob. If you didn't know, our Pastor resigned a couple of weeks back because, basicially, he was burnt out. In the process we have lost some other, additional leadership, and now Sol Cafe is sort of floundering, waiting for a new leadership vision to evolve. This is not inherently healthy. We are not even sure if Sol Cafe should continue. Sure, everyone at Sol Cafe is really positive that they want it to continue, but I am not sure if everyone will be willing to commit to what is necessary for Sol Cafe to continue in a healthy, Christ-centric way. Personally, if we just want to continue as we have been, not thinking we need to change, then I have no desire to be here; since we'll only be back to where we are now only a year or so later. This time it will be ME that is burnt out. We have a leadership core, and we are striving to put together a leadership model that is good for us and that honor's Christ in our context. But, fundamentally, I feel a littel trepidation. That being said, I am nonetheless feeling very positive and hopeful. I believe in our leadership team; I know that each of them are passionate about Sol Cafe and committed to continually seeking God's face in the process of working this out. I listen to the stories of people in the congregation and I am encouraged and edified as I hear, very clearly, how God is at work in their lives. What encourages me the most is that THEY see it as much as I do. I am surrounded by people that love me and support me; Shirley, Chuck, Jayson, and more. Their presence in my life has kept me on an even keel. They have made me feel loved even when I have felt the most alone.

So I guess I could say that I feel cautiously optimistic? I don't know if that is the right term or not. Perhaps I should consult with my contact in the field of Communication and Rhetoric. :) If nothing else, I will say that this whole process has really reformed my prayer life. I came to the conclusion that I MUST give this over to God; to do otherwise only invites insanity.
:: written by Matt Thompson, 1:13 PM

2 Comments:

How did you feel about our discussion last night? It was very encouraging to me. Thanks.
Blogger Rach, at 10:03 AM  
Last night was incredibly positive. It was exactly what should be happening in preparation. It is because of last night and other nights like it that have allowed me to keep going.
Blogger Matt Thompson, at 3:22 PM  

Add a comment