Canticles of the Unhomed

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Geekboy Lord of the Universe

I am the Geekboy Lord of the Universe. I have published pictures on my blog of a starship from a book I wrote. You don't get much more geeky than that. Nonetheless, I am extremely proud of the images, produced by Adam Dreher. Simply incredible. It is really exciting to see something from your imagination actually appear in front of you in full 3D. Hey, at least I am getting paid to write. That is something. Its not like I am just some fan in his basement writing some Star Trek story about how Picard finally expresses his true love for Beverly Crusher while simultaneously fighting off a resurrected Kahn Singh while matching wits in the newest appearance of Q.

So, in the meantime I am trying to focus on writing that short story. The short story format is difficult for me, but I look forward to the challenge. I think the premise of the story is going to be about the first alien culture who realize that eventually the universe will end and all the billions of years of their accomplishments will be destroyed utterly, so they embark on a plan to construct a device that will act as a life preserver for them and other life they choose to save. It will deal with themes of death, fear of death, resurrection and the end of all things. Part of the challenge is to do a story like this justice in only >6000 words. As well, the technical and scientific research is also daunting. I have an astrophysicist friend of mine helping me, but the questions that I am asking her are stumping her, so we'll need to work through these ideas. Maybe I'll post a bit once I have a few words on the page.

By the way, be sure to check out my friend Rachel's blog. It's in my link section.

Still cold. -36. Still wearing shorts. And why not? Will wearing pants all of a sudden make it feel like its 20 degrees?
:: written by Matt Thompson, 2:15 PM

4 Comments:

Hey Big Poppa, cool looking ships. Im just not sure if they look azzkickin enough for certain characters. Nah I guess they do. Hey check out my blog for my most recent post.
Blogger Jeff A, at 10:26 PM  
YAY! Thanks for the free advertising!! Don't be ashamed, geeks are in! (They're still in right??)
-Rach
Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:24 PM  
Hi Matt, ok, so the no comments thing on xanga blows, so I made a new one here. Check it out, and change your link so I can get readers. Thanks Pope-a-licious!
Blogger Rach, at 10:30 AM  
The only problem with claiming ownership of the title GEEKBOY LORD OF THE UNIVERSE is that you are setting yourself up for the inevitable onslaught of challengers seeking to assuage you of your duly acquired moniker. And alas, such a combatant has arisen less than a fortnight into your reign of orgiastic impunity, to wrest from you that which can only be granted to one proven worthy of higher Geekboydom. Thus, to appease the requirements of this tradition, handed down from generation to generation, I present my case:

You have committed one of the classic blunders, a blunder which no true Geekboy could be found guilty of…the dreaded misuse of the greater than/less than symbol. Everyone knows that mouth of the alligator must face the larger figure because of its insatiable appetite, but your mouth is facing away from the 6000 words, leading one to believe that your short story must have more than 6000 words when in fact you are required to use less than that total. Obviously, you should have written <6000 not >6000.

Quite frankly, I am appalled and disappointed. You got greedy my friend…greedy. You had it all in the palm of your hand, everything anyone could dream of, but that wasn’t good enough for you…oh no, you wanted more….you had to push the very boundaries of sanity and you slipped up. If we can’t look to our Grand Geekboy, where will we turn for guidance and reassurance…WHERE!!!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:19 PM  

Add a comment