Canticles of the Unhomed

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Movement

So Fido has caved. Mwahahahaha! That's right - I took on the faceless corporation and I decimated them. I crushed them beneath my heel. They reactivated my OLD phone for FREE and gave me a $20.00 credit for my trouble. See just goes to show you that you CAN fight the man. :)

Got a call back from IKON. After telling me "no," they called a couple of days later, and told me that a position was open, and asked if I could come in for another interview. That was Thursday - then they told me that I should know by Monday. On Tuesday they emailed me and asked me for references. So here I sit. I will be surprised if I hear from them before Friday.

I hurt my back again. It was stupid. I was at Shirley's place on Sunday night after church, and I think I pulled something. The good news is that I can still put on socks, take a shower, get in and out of bed, and use the bathroom without impediment.Those are all things by which I gauge my back injuries, so on a scale of 1-10, where my last one, in September was about 8-9, this is about 1.5.

I think I have a new lease on the Sequel. Previously I have been avoiding using the same template as the first novel: finding a main character, giving him flaws, and then surrounding him with characters that reflect those flaws and represent some part of the main character's journey, while telling the story from the perspective of the other characters and leaving the reader to piece it all together. According to my publisher that was the strength of the first novel, and what gave it its "originality." I resisted using that same template because I wanted to do something new, and explore a new style. But what I am learning is that it is acceptable for a writer to have a stylistic format and to keep to it, as long as there is sufficient variation to offset predictability. So, in lieu of writing this blasted thing a sixth time, I will replicate the template. This time, Erasmus is the main character, one of eight genetically engineered supermen designed and bred to fight a terrible enemy. However, when his brothers decide to take over the galaxy, he is forced to hunt them down. More to come.
:: written by Matt Thompson, 5:58 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment