Canticles of the Unhomed

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

The Big 3-0

So a week ago today I turned thirty. People always ask me, "Does it feel any different being thirty? How are you coping?" Honestly, I kinda miss the twenties, but then again, I also am glad they're gone. To me, my twenties was a time of trying to figure myself out, of setting the foundation, and planning for the future. I went to school, got some degrees, got a job, experienced major philosophical, social, and pracical paradigm shifts, lived, loved, and lost. In my twenties I worked jobs that paid me more than I ever have been paid, and I also lived on literally nothing. I have lived in an apartment with six other guys in a crowed downtown city center, and I have lived by myself in a shack in the woods with no heat but a wood stove that I had to cut wood for myself. I have kissed beautiful women, and I have given my heart away. I have established myself in a career for which I was amply trained for, and then walked away from it. I have seen a hobby turn into a living. I have seen things so terrible that they continue to frighten me when I am alone in the dark, and I have seen things so beautiful that my soul was not ready to behold it. In my twenties I have stood on roads that are as ancient as civilization itself, and sat in buildings that were old when Christ walked around Galilee. I have held a woman in my arms and loved her so much that my heart hurt, and I have felt the terrible ache when she was gone. I have been present as a new life came into the world, and I have held a man in my arms and looked in eyes as he died. I have prayed over someone and seen thier flesh restored. I have walked away from faith, and ran back. I have sworn at God, and blest his name. I have asked several questions, and received many answers. I have trusted, and I have been betrayed. I have been trusted, and I have betrayed. All this and more happened in my twenties. Which is a way of saying that I view it all as preparation. I guess I kind of look at it as if I now finally ready to begin. I have a much better sense of myself, and who I am and what I am here for, and I have a sense of what my next step needs to be and the type of life I want to live.

So the House threw me a birthday party. The best part was that it was a surprise. I love surprise parties. They, well, Amanda, had been planning it for more than a week, and I had no idea. The day of, Chuck and I get back to his place, in time for what I thought was going to be a regular Sunday service. I walk in, and I see a bunch of food layed out, and since we always have a meal together as part of our service, I thought that they had just put the food out early. I walk into the living room, and it is decorated with streames and such, and I think, "did they have a party here last night, like a shower for Martha and Jeremy or something?" so I say, "Chuck, what the hell is with the streamers?" At that point a crowd of people come rushing out of the bedroom yelling "surprise!" It was great. They totally got me. The place was full of my favorite people, and I felt totally loved. We did the party in lieu of our usual service, and I thought that was the most incredible part. All in all, it was the best birthday party I have ever had... except for maybe one some friends threw for me in Calgary that took place in a MacDonalds.

I'm not at the mid-life crisis point yet. Know what, maybe I'll just skip it.
:: written by Matt Thompson, 3:25 PM

3 Comments:

That was a pretty toching look at a life well-lived. To have loved, hated, gained, and lost and to look at it all as preparation is pretty powerful. I look forward to being there through all the crazy parts of your thirties.
Blogger Chuck, at 6:54 PM  
hey happy 3-0. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a connection in the Sinai wilderness? But when you ask around, the bedouins can always direct you to right man. Might be a day or two journey, buthey - it's worth it to see your blog again --- ahhhh a familiar face...
Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:35 PM  
Dude...

I didn't realize we were that close in b-days and age.

I'm turning 30 on Thursday (technically about 2 hours before I go to a U2 concert in Vancouver).

- RyeShy
Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:30 AM  

Add a comment