Canticles of the Unhomed

Monday, April 04, 2005

Deluxe Galaga Sweetness

So I picked up an Amiga emulator for my laptop. My very first computer, and the computer I had all the way through college was an Amiga. I started with an old Amiga 1000, debuted in 1985, and then I upgraded for college with an Amiga 1200. The 1000 had a whopping 512K of ram and NO hard drive, and a processor running at 6.8 mHz. The 1200 was much more powerful; I had a huge 170 mb hard drive, and 16 megs of ram. It was great. In college I acquired this game called Deluxe Galaga. It was incredible. Left, right, shoot. Those were the controls. If you have ever played the original Galaga, you know what the game is like, but this game took it to previously unknown depths. The graphics were great, but simple, and the gameplay -- that was the kicker. Guys would camp out in my dorm for hours on end to play this game - we even formed a whole culture around this game; we would talk about whether the Galaga Goddess was smiling on you that day or not, and our conversation became peppered with terms from the game. I know, it was pretty geeky, but when you live in a Bible College dorm where TVs are outlawed, you don't need to have a job, and you would rather do anything than homework, a game like Deluxe Galaga becomes irresistable. Of course by the time I graduated to ABC and was living with JB and Jason, Playstation was king and then there was the Bushido Blade and Grand Turismo sweetness, but that is a different story. So with this emulator came, you guessed it... DELUXE GALAGA! OH. MY. GOD. The guys at the House are now fully addicted. Aw, yeah! The problem is that the nature of the game is competitive, Adam, Chuck, Jeff and I feel utterly compelled to compare scores. The hitch is that I bought the emulator on CD, and it runs off the CD, which means that it doesn't save the high scores. The installation of the emulator is incredibly complex, and is beyond my skillz. So anyway, the game totally takes me back, and it still retains its playability! It chugs it a little on my laptop but I think that has more to do with graphic modes than processor or ram, and the audio emulation is not the best, but it doesn't affect the play at all. Its great.

Anyway, in other news, we had a commissioning service at the House on Sunday. We formed three working groups - one to take care of the business of buying our building, another visoncasting group to work on and answer more philosophical questions, and the third is practical planning group focusing on practical concerns, like what our Sundays look like, how we incorporate music or art, how we keep people plugged in and involved, and so on. We took turns laying hands on each of the groups and praying for them, and specifically giving them authority to act for us and authority to dream in freedom, and so on. It was actually quite powerful. Then, Chuck and I did a footwashing. We individually washed the feet of every member, and annointed their feet with oil. It freaked some people out, but I think that it was mostly just having people touch their feet. Oddly, no one had ever experienced a footwashing before, and for everyone it was a new experience. We got through it with some joking and laughter, people were kind of uncomfortable with Chuck and I kneeling at their feet withe a basin of water, a towel, and some oil. As we washed each person's feet, we told them that we loved them. It was for Chuck and I a sign that we were pledging to serve these people. That we were submitting to the community, and that we felt that God had called us to this work, and the oil is an ancient symbol of the pouring out of God's blessing. I think everyone was affected. Then, Jeremy had everyone lay hands on Chuck and I and pray for us. It was beautiful. I think that there is something powerful in human touch. I was struck, as I ran water over each person's feet, at how intimately I was touching these people, and then as I cradled their foot in the soft towel and gently dried their feet, looked into their eyes, called them by name and told them that I loved them, I came away fundamentally changed. These are my people now. I belong to them. It was cool.
:: written by Matt Thompson, 2:37 PM

8 Comments:

Sounds powerful, as it was meant to be when He showed us how to do it. Reminds me of when we did a footwashing with L'arche a while back - the profoundly broken washing the feet of the profoundly broken - it is a great "leveller" - a reminder of what we are called to be.

blessings - Joe - will send a call
Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:43 PM  
I just want to clarify that nobody, and I mean nobody, will ever beat my high score in Deluxe Galaga so don't bother trying.
Blogger the dirk, at 1:52 PM  
Hmmmm that sounds like a challenge, what is the exact number of this high score of which you speak so highly. I am sure that it IS beatable and that I am the one to beat it.
Blogger Jeff A, at 2:16 PM  
Well, as legends go, the scientifically exact score has faded as the story has been orally transmitted among the followers of the Galaga goddess cult. However, what historians like myself have been able to determine from the various re-tellings of that legendary game is this:

It was a warm spring morning when the game began. At first it appeared to be much like any other Galaga game that would end after 20 or 25 levels of play. However, as time passed and weapons sytems ramped up it became apparent that this was no ordinary round of Galaga. Noon came and went, along with many mother ships and swarming levels of Galaga insects. By early afternoon the final alien invaders were vanquished and the brave defender of Earth was on his way home. Then, unexpectedly, a new swarm of invaders was spotted approaching earth and the game started back at level one again. By this time arms were acheing thumbs were sore and the champion's girlfriend was waiting for the game to end so she could embrace her personal hero. With the passing of more and more levels and the continued upgrading of the ships weapons and armour it became apparent by mid-afternoon that the game would not end. The champion was invincible, and no Galagan was able to defeat the champion. Thus after (reports here vary somewhat) about 80 to 100 levels of play the champion succumbed to the wooing of his fair maiden and willingly and purposely exited the match.
Blogger the dirk, at 9:45 AM  
Can this be? This is one truly be the one whose name is whispered in dark corners? The one whose coming was foretold of old... can this one be truly the Son of the Galaga Goddess himself? No, the mind shudders away from such a thought.

If it is true, then as the skalds sing, the score is in the tens of millions. But this cannot be he...
Blogger Matt Thompson, at 1:05 AM  
Yes, it is I. The fabled son of the Galaga goddess has emerged from the shadows.
Blogger the dirk, at 2:27 PM  
Well, now that we have "established" the identity of the true Galaga master it is time to realize the fulfillment of the second half of the Galaga legend. Yes, the lesser known, often misunderstood, and generally not-cared-about legend of the accursed Galaga Wraith.

For it is written: At the rising of the noon-day sun, when champions of old emerge from the ashes, one who is marked with utter failure, who stands no chance of walking in the halls of the herald Galaga warriors will arise and take upon himself the crappy upgrades and multiple warp malfunctions, allowing others to play on with relative ease.

Let me explain...no, there is too much...let me sum up. I am the one foretold in the second part of the legend. I am he, who has taken the brunt of the Galaga Goddess' wrath.

Unlike our triumphant hero "The Dirk" I play deep in the bowls of the Pit in the black of night. This game did not start like any other game. First level: not a upgrade. no extra speed. no money. not even a skull. A sign of things to come for sure. Through the next few levels I managed to aquire some good money and three rank markers, but no weapon and no speed or other upgrades. Heading into my first warp I was dissapointed but not too worried as I had enough money to buy super weapon already...but money is only good if you can spend it...WARP MALFUNCTION! No speed and only single shot against 5 enemies: not so bad. I successfully fought them off, failing to aquire any new rank markers, of course. AHH in the clear...no...WARP MALFUNCTION! Two in a row...oiy. Success again, but no new rank markers and now I don't get to spend my money.

Making it through the next raound of levels I managed to avoid the Galaga Goddess' providence altogether with a barrage of completely useless items: 5 or so speed upgrades and other ship accessories but no weapons. But with a large sum of money burning a hole in my pocket I head into the warp, confident that the percentage of malfunctions is about 10 and I've already had two...WARP MALFUNCTION...Oh mighty Goddess of Galaga! Why do you taunt me so! Once again I fight off 5 enemies with only single shot and, once again no rank markers of use. Yeah now I can spend my money...WARP MALFUNCTION...you've gotta be kidding me! 4 more enemies, 4 more useless rank markers. Summoning the strength to stand I look towards the sky, pleading for help in time of affliction...WARP MALFUNCTION! That's right 5 malfunctions in the first 2 rounds with naught but single shot and a crushed will to live. Needless to say, that was the day the Deluxe Galaga Sweetness died for me. Maybe someday I will once again venture into the void and renew the abuse for which I was destined, but it will take awhile for the wounds to close.

So as you fight to become the champion of all that is Galaga remember me and thank the stars for not picking you to be the accursed one.
Blogger Chuck, at 3:06 PM  
Nice to see you back
Blogger Jason, at 8:29 PM  

Add a comment