Canticles of the Unhomed

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

So Its Another Post on My Blog

So its done. Yesterday the House Community Evangelical Free Church officially put down an offer on the house of our dreams. Also, by the virtue of the nature of our deal, we are also now the proud owners of a large dining room table and chairs, and a pool table and various billiard-related paraphenelia. It is an odd feeling, as a pastor, when your church purchases its first common-held equipment.

Now, it is just a matter of getting our financing arranged in the two weeks alotted to us. Props out to Jeff who has pretty much single-handedly done (and is doing) this.

There's a strangely euphoric panic at the fact that now its all so official, grown up, and there's no turning back now.

Its a good thing that I feel so good about the direction the House is taking, and the state of our community. I feel as though we are asking the right questions and are walking the right path.

Yeah, because if I didn't, man, I would be scared poopless.


There is much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the world of Matt this day. A while ago, while nursing a Red Robin's Royal burger (that's the one with a fried egg on it - aww yeah, that's the money) and having a rather stimulating conversation on the nature of communion with Chuck, Derek, Erika and Rachel, I rather violently discovered that I have - somehow; I don't know how - become rather distressingly Consubstantialist
. And Luther's construction of the idea - over, above, under, in, etc, as representing Christ's physical presence with the church, seems to disturbingly appeal to me.

As a dyed in the wool mystic, I have always tended toward the symbolic approach of interpretation, except where heretical. The idea that Christ is present physically in the elements without transforming their character or structure always seemed kind of... I don't know... trite? Why bother with such a fantastic, convoluted and contrived explanation when it is so much more elegant to look at communion and the elements as symbols for powerful spiritual abstracts?

Now, however, the concept of Christ being physically present in the elements, and that communion becoming the celebration of Christ's physical presence with us every week has come to be very meaningful for me. It is quite a powerful mystic experience. I think that it adds a powerful significance to our communal gatherings.


So I am leaving for a week. I am looking forward to getting away.
:: written by Matt Thompson, 8:40 AM

6 Comments:

Pool table? Did you say pool table? I have a 19 oz custom mahogany friend with an Irish linen wrapped handle who would like to pay his respects...friendly wagers only...for now...
Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:18 PM  
Yeah about that whole Lutheran thing..... you still mad at me for that? ;-) J/K I enjoyed that conversation and I hope many more of it's kind ensue! Congrats on the House offer! Very 30+ of you! ...Oh sorry...another touchy subject. There is no winning with you! Love you Matt! Have fun at camp!
Blogger Rach, at 12:08 PM  
It is a sad day indeed when a man realizes that he must accept a doctrine so foreign to every fibre of his being (get it? dyed in the wool...fibre...gold, pure gold!). "I hope that doesn't come back to haunt me...gmp!"
Blogger Chuck, at 1:54 PM  
Hey Matt, have a great time at camp! Don't worry I'll remember to tape enterprise for you...he he little does he know that I intentionally won't in yet another attempt to slowly chip away at his very soul. Hmm wait did I leave this voice activated typing do-hicky on too long? Oh, son of a b..
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:55 AM  
Absolutely awesome! A pool table and a dining room table and a house of your dreams! Good going!
Continue to have fun with God!
love Shirley
Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 PM  
Ahh the royal burger may be good, but I haven't taken you to Ray's on the west side yet... The ray burger has a fried egg, an entire hot dog, and pickles...mmmmcoronarybypassmmmm....
Blogger Lightfoot, at 4:49 PM  

Add a comment