Canticles of the Unhomed

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Tagged

Well, I got tagged by JB, so here goes:

How Many Books Do I Own?

I am going to say around 300, if I count the books I gave to Fred on "extended (read: never getting them back) loan".

Last Book I Bought?

"The Dark Tower" - Stephen King - incredible example of "atmospheric writing"
"The Clowns of God" - Morris West - interesting look into the politics of the Vatican with a fair bit of latter-day apocalyptic mysticism. Interesting read.
"The Essential Kabbalah" - Daniel Matt - a primer of sorts to old-school Jewish mysticism.

Last Book I Read?

"On Writing" - Stephen King - damn, this is good. Anyone who has even THOUGHT about writing should have to get a license to do so, and reading this book should be part of the test.
"Imitation of Christ" - Thomas A Kempis - classic... 'nuff said
"The Prophecies of the Third Age" - trans. Dr. Harold Juniper - research
"Reimagining Spiritual Formation" - Doug Pagitt - As we say at the House: Bible Part Two.
"A Generous Orthodoxy" - Brian McLaren - I am such a bandwagon jumper
"The Da Vinci Code" - Dan Brown - what can I say? It was a fun read.

5 Books that Meant Alot to Me

1. Lectures to My Students - Charles Spurgeon - this book taught me alot about the obligation of the pastor/teacher.
2. Memory, Sorrow and Thorn - Tad Williams - probably the most influential fiction as far as my writing style is concerned.
3. Celebration of Discipline - Richard Foster - he started me on my journey; this boo
k taught me to look past the trappings of evangelical christianity and help me get a sense of our mystical tradition
4. The Rule of St. Francis, Friars Minor - St. Francis of Assisi - this tiny book formed much of my thinking about rythyms of life and simplicity.
5. The Purpose Driven Church - Rick Warren - just kidding. everyone check your pacemakers. :)
5. The Prophet - Kahlil Gibran - I have no words to describe the elegant, otherworldly profundity of this man's words. Pure, pure art.

Honorable Mentions:

The Collected Lyrics of Rich Mullins - yeah, I know its not a book, but what can I say? Don't like it, go back to Russia.

Devotional Classics - Richard Foster Ed. - incredible primer of two thousand years of lectio divina.


Wow. That was a cool exercise. Thanks for tagging me, Jay.

I tag... Chuck, Joe, and Paul.

This is fun.
:: written by Matt Thompson, 1:51 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment