Canticles of the Unhomed

Monday, July 25, 2005

Ah, Sweet, Sweet Houseness

It was a good night.

As a "church planter" there are times when Chuck and I can become quite fustrated or discouraged with the lack of progress, or even an abundance of regression. There are times when there are only three of us there on a Sunday afternoon, and it is easy for me to think, "What the hell am I doing? I am a complete failure." This is something that not too many people outside of "ministry" can understand. Its more than just not being successful. You pour your life into this venture, and you attach a certain amount of your identity to it. When the House slumps, I slump. This is actually quite a struggle for many of us, so be sure to pray for the church planter in your life.

However, my Master has been kind to me, and has spared me from the worst of it; I keep seeing these moments of Houseness, and that warms and encourages my heart. I am largely pleased with the state of the House, if not content.

Last night for example. We had a good meeting; it was the first that we had as a full group in a long time, so it was good to reconnect with everyone, hear everyone's stories and listen to their lives. We took communion, which was the first time since Mack's baptism like a month ago. We had incredible discussion as we discussed communion, and then as we unpacked 1 Corinthians 5. We shared a meal together, and hung out long into the night. Cortney was sick, so Chuck and I, along with Mack, did our pastoral duty and took commuion to her, and prayed for her. Then it was hang-out, poker, and conversation late into the night.

Moment of Houseness Number 1: Taking communion with my community; praying with them, and breaking the loaf and sharing the cup. It was powerful, solemn and moving, at least for me.

Moment of Houseness Number 2: Answering in depth questions about communion from a "non-Christian" and helping them understand the very fundamentals about communion.

Moment of Houseness Number 3: Hearing others in the group other than me answer those questions, and being impressed with everyone's willingness to engage eachother, and more than just academically answer questions, but rather speak TO the person, and reveal themselves doing it.

Moment of Houseness Number 4: Watching Jeff struggle with dealing with someone, and watching him earnestly try to love this person, though it was hard for him to do so. Seeing him grow has been awesome.

Moment of Houseness Number 5: Sitting around the dinner table with Erika, Adam, Charity, Mack, Jeff, Amanda, Chuck and Jeremy and just laughing for the sake of laughing; enjoying their company and their conversation over salad and spaghetti.

Moment of Houseness Number 6: The impromptu drumming circle at the dinner table, and how much we sucked.

Moment of Houseness Number 7: Taking communion to Cortney and watching Mack and Chuck minister to her, and seeing her spirits lift.

Moment of Houseness Number 8: Having a profound discussion about community and interdependence with Carmella, and making a new friend.

Moment of Houseness Number 9: Hugging Jeremy after telling him that there will be no castings out a la 1 Cor 5.

Moment of Houseness Number 10: Praying with my arm around Cortney as Mack, Chuck and Carmella laid hands on her.

Moment of Houseness Number 11: Playing poker with Chuck and Allister until the wee hours, and soundly beating both of them. :)

Moment of Houseness Number 12: Sitting in Keegans with Chuck until five in the morning listening to him tell me about his life, and then dreaming and visioncasting together over apple cinnamon milkshakes and root beer.

That was alot of moments. But, we have alot of Houseness, and I happen to love these people. It's easy being a church planter when a Sunday goes right. But things are building; we will be in a house of our own by September, hopefully we'll be signed in as an official "Evangelical Free Church of Canada" church in October, and soon we will be looking beyond ourselves to mission and service. I like these directions.

BTW, Chuck and I were talking about it last night, and technically, I am NOT a church planter. At the House, we are not building a church, but a lifestyle. Man, I think my cliche meter just blew up. :)


:: written by Matt Thompson, 3:11 PM

6 Comments:

Sounds to me like apostolic organic growth at it's best Matt.
Incarnational living is all about recognizing the sacredness of each and every moment. Perhaps you aren't so "unhomed" as you thought. There really IS a place.. a space. Grace space, grace place, where together we both enjoy and deploy the great embrace.

BTW, as apostles i'm counting on chuck AND you to join me down at Cafe DeBar this Saturday night. Moment of Houseness number 6 will be taken to a new dimension. I covet not only your prayer but your presence and growing sense of houseness to enhance the experience.

peace
Blogger Paul Seburn, at 6:32 PM  
Hmmm a Saturday night drumming session? I might just invite myself if that is whats going on.
Blogger Jeff A, at 10:51 PM  
Sweet House Alabama!
Blogger Chuck, at 1:34 PM  
Dude, I can't believe you forgot moment of houseness number 13, when Mack and Jeremy got all hopped up on gum balls and we convinced them to race barefoot down Jasper in Erika's dresses. Then the police showed up around 104th as we were driving behind them to film it. Then I tried to convince the cops that Chuck was a Latvian spy trying to get information on western independent films (I mean come on Elves?). Then there was that incident at the bar after when Charity got into a brawl with those bikers from Montana. And Jeff somehow managed to get mixed up in that and get thrown in jail so we had to use the tithe money to get him out. Ah, family fun.
Blogger Amanda, at 2:22 PM  
I was trying not to mention that moment for the sake of public relations. We're already having enough trouble with CSIS and Immigration. NOt to mention Hammas.
Blogger Matt Thompson, at 6:12 PM  
PSHT! Government agencies. The organization you really need to look out for is PETA. Those nuts are ruthless.
Blogger Amanda, at 9:55 AM  

Add a comment