Canticles of the Unhomed

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Things That Make You Go "Hmmm..." and Bleed From the Ears

So I was sitting around with Joe the other day trying to solve the problems of the universe over a latte, when we started to talk about certain statements made by professors that baked our noodles. One particular offering by Joe continues to mock my existence and betray my gross stupidity. But then, Joe didn't get it either, so I don't feel so bad.

This has pretty much been dominating my esoteric thinking quota, and every time I think I get it, it slips out of my grasp like a wet fish. If I get it wrong, Joe can correct me.

It went something like this:

... an understanding of the Patristic trinitarian formulation exposes time, space and motion as the created analog of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit...

It's one of those things that are either obscenely profound, or its complete nonsense.

As I have been mulling it over, and getting a headache doing it, my thinking is leaning to an almost Einsteinian articulation of space/time with the idea of motion being the deterministic engine that drives the whole thing. Man, I'm either going to have to start writing this crap down to keep it straight or take up watching reality TV to dumb me down so I don't think of stuff like this.

And yet, I can't believe that its purely mechanistic, that there has to be a deeper, esoteric layer to this as well.

I do my best thinking in the shower, so I think I will be spending alot of time on my personal hygiene.


:: written by Matt Thompson, 6:39 PM

4 Comments:

Why the sudden case of blogdom diarrhea? Weeks of one or two post and now WHAMMY!
Blogger Chuck, at 10:33 PM  
Have you tried those new shower head at Holiday Inn Express? I hear they're great for those who think in the shower :)
Blogger the dirk, at 8:25 AM  
I'm rather enjoying it though. It's ALL about the Blogging.
Anyways, you reminded me of Kierkegaard- "either obscenely profound, or its complete nonsense."
Einsteing had some really fantastic ideas, don't discount him. Check out "Einstein, Picasso: Space, Time and the Beauty that Causes Chaos" by Arthur L Miller- it's availalbe at most chapters stores, and is really a great comparison of the ideas that shaped both their work.
Blogger Nietzsche's Girl, at 8:27 AM  
ps - Heidegger makes some reference along the same lines in Being and Time where he starts to analyze Aug's doctrine of time in relation to the concept of soul. Wash that down with a few bourbons and we'll have it all figured out.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:23 AM  

Add a comment