Canticles of the Unhomed

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Worship 4 Justice

Okay, so I'm just getting onto this now, when its pretty much too late, but here it is. I wish I would have known sooner. This is something that Kelly is involved in, and props to her for bringing it to my attention. I have, in talking to her about this, felt convicted that my view of social action and justice are perhaps too local in scope, and not global at all. This is only one of the many good influences she's had on my life.

Worship 4 Justice is a number of open air worship concerts (she's gonna kick my ass if I get this wrong) designed to enhance awareness of and support for what's happening in Darfur, Sudan. They're happening in and around Washington DC with the support of Brian McClaren's church, and a number of other organizations. The last one is tomorrow. Please check out the website here. And if you have no idea what's going on in Sudan, check this out too. Do some reading.

This is all so important right now with the G8 Summit earmarking 50 billion dollars for African aid. Admittedly, there is some skepticism out there. Many of the G8 countries provided less than firm committments to doubling the aid, and we have less than a stellar record for follow through when it comes to African aid. While Bono and Bob Geldof are effusive in their praise for the summit's resolution, not all anti-poverty advocates are so optimistic.
Check this article out.

However, I think that Russia eliminating just over 11 billion dollars worth of sub-Saharan African debt is a good thing and a good step in the right direction. That being said, Kelly spent years in Africa and is many hundreds of thousands of times more able to speak to the problem of African poverty than me; I'm mostly just parroting things she's told me.

You should talk to her.


My question is, what is the best way for the money and resources to be distributed. I guess the the majority of it will take the form of crisis re
sponse, food, education, nutrition and infrastructure. I wonder if maybe the UN World Health Organization might be a good candidate for this? In any case, I think the UN in general would be ideally suited to be involved. I know it is naive of me to assume that the UN would be able to work without the politics that bog down so many good things, but there has been no lack of initiatives in the past to help Africa and we have yet to see anything actually hit the ground.

In any case, I would call you all to pray for Worship 4 Justice, for the G8 summit, and the thousands of people dying in Africa. We have been talking about missional living... well, there you are.
:: written by Matt Thompson, 5:48 PM

3 Comments:

Whoopah!...and other whip crackin' sounds.
Blogger Chuck, at 2:49 PM  
Hahaha... I was more thinking of the cartoon where Bugs Bunny's eyes turn into hearts and his heart is pounding out of his chest. It's so cuuuute.
Blogger Rach, at 7:57 PM  
Interesting comments????.... anyways, hi Matt, it's Coral :) I finally got to checking out your blog today. Sorry it's taken so long.

I'm glad that you have posted about the SUDAN. Actually, mostly all of AFRICA is in crisis. How can such a large continent be in so much turmoil? --that's always where I start. Then I realize that "history" has a lot to do with it. I believe that not only does government have to change and social change, but the people must "call on God's name and turn from their wicked ways..." I believe that much of the problems stem from spiritual darkness in these countries, thus, why there is such a need for food, etc. At the same time, there is a need to start praying for things like water, food, change in government as foreigners wanting to help AFRICA... I was listening to a Lianna Klassen song today about God's people calling on His name--2 Chronicles 7:14. That truth has never changed, and will never change.

I believe that in everything the greatest thing we can do is call on God's all-powerful name and start walking in obedience and giving up the things that aren't necessary to help those who have nothing. I don't feel that "governments" and "organizations" usually make the difference--it usually takes the everyday person working in "heroic" ways because they stood up for what was right/good--just like David stood up to Goliath.

So, I encourage people to start giving to Christian organizations in the Sudan or else joining them out there--ie: Samaritan's Purse--my friend went with them as a nursing student for a couple months--powerful experience, that's for sure.

Well, I'm excited that you are partnering with Wycliffe now. :) Praise God for people who want to see God's Word proclaimed to the ends of the earth!

peace,
Coral
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:24 AM  

Add a comment