Canticles of the Unhomed

Friday, December 02, 2005

Back from the Wilderness

So I just spent the past two weeks in Saskatoon.

And I have survived to tell the story. No, actually, it was great.

I spent the time with Jayson and Estelle. Everytime I stay with them it is always so great, and I always gush about them on my blog. This is no different. They were incredibly awesome, but since I am lacking in creativity, you can insert your own gushing here. Consider yourself gushed upon.

Since I was in pain the whole time, we didn't get in our regular quota of cut loose, crazy-ass shit, but we had our moments. And Estelle and I traded recipies alot. Woot!

Some random memories from my sojourn among the flatlanders...

Chilling in the community hot tub with Jayson and Estelle, and watching a brown-stained wet-nap float serenely by.

Hanging out at Massey Place church, and getting to meet Jayson's new crew. Props out to Clayton - he's the ni... uh... man. And Ron, king of phat bass licks and sweet accordian grooves. And just for the record, Jeff has a really nice ass - Joanna is SO lucky!

Honestly though, I really enjoyed my time at Massey. The people were really warm and gracious to me. They seemed like the kind of people that i could hang out with quite easily. There seems to be a number of kindred spirits there. If I ever end up in Saskatoon, at least I know what church I would be going to. Back to the memories...

Preaching at Massey. That sermon just kept going and going and going and going and going. At least someone got something out of it. The pictures were pretty.

Hanging out with Andre and Robyn. These are Jayson's friends from Calgary who came out right at the end of my stay. It was awesome hanging out with them. I would say more, but there is a ninja haze of confusion blocking my memories... NINJA!

How often do you have to go hang out in the house of a pacifist, the pastor of a mennonite church, in order to learn about knife-fighting?

Man, that chick in the mennonite thirft store really wanted me!

Got to spend some time with Nathan and Krista. I love those guys.

Saw a little of Ryeshy. Got treated to a nocturnal symphony. Didn't get a chance to meet his squeeze.

Sitting, wrapped in two blankets, another blanket around my head, watching my breath steam in the air as we watched movies and alot of poker! And a couple of soccer games.

Going mini-golfing and ending up with a bruised knee and a gash on the top of my head. I'm sure that is something only I could manage.

Don't yell profanity in the middle of a Value Village. Lesson learned.

Don't get between Jayson and his daily consumer purchase. "Dude! These are 150 dollar Doc Martins boots! It doesn't matter if I don't need them or can't wear them!"
Lesson learned.

Mennonites don't like the word "titties." Even when you say they're nice. Lesson learned.

Two words: NINJA!

I don't know how to swim in Saskatchewan either.

I had a really great time. I made some new friends, got on the nerves of some old ones, and learned some valuable lessons in the meantime. Going and spending time in SK with Jayson and Estelle always serves to challenge me in my own vision and mission, help me understand things just a but better, and I always end up relaxed and refreshed. Thankfully, they keep me to a fairly relaxed pace, even when I'm told we have to leave in six minutes and thirty-seven seconds. I had no idea that any one man could drink as much Coke Zero as I did. Good thing I'm only drinking salty water. You should always have a retreat... a place you can go and decompress, reorient, and gain perspective. For some, its the mountains, or a retreat center somewhere... for me, its Saskatoon with Jayson and Estelle.
:: written by Matt Thompson, 10:25 AM

12 Comments:

And you want to be my latex salesman!?
Blogger Chuck, at 12:55 PM  
Umm, wow. I guess you really do need to make your own fun in Saskatchewan. I had no idea how much truth was in my previous smart ass comments.
Blogger Amanda, at 3:40 PM  
gushed upon...?

eEEEWWWw!!!
Blogger N, at 8:37 PM  
Matt--have you ever spent much time in Calgary?
Do you, or have you ever had a fixation with Babylon 5?
Have you ever tried to sell a vacuum cleaner?

You sound a lot like somebody with that name I knew a few years ago.
Blogger pilgrim, at 10:53 PM  
You used to sell vacuums matt?

Wow, all I gotta say is, I WANT a VACUUM Matty! Right now.

(Bah, been there done that, sold the webcam video on the internet)
Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:16 PM  
I should have explored more before I posted that--I saw pictures and an article on somebody named Collynda--it's you Matt.

(There goes my anonymity!)
Blogger pilgrim, at 6:37 PM  
You're going to have to be more specific...
Blogger Matt Thompson, at 3:14 PM  
yeah--you probably don't remember me...
Maybe my blog will joggest thine memory...

Then we may need to talk...
Blogger pilgrim, at 8:18 PM  
Pilgrim,

Hmm... have you ever attended Northridge Presbyterian church?

How about Rocky Mountain College?

The list of your favorite movies pretty much gives it away, or at least really narrows it down...

I'm going to venture a guess, and I am fully prepared to be wrong and look like an idiot, but I think you're the guy that taught me how to be a calvinist.
Blogger Matt Thompson, at 1:03 AM  
Hmm, close, but I think you're thinking of a guy with dark hair who can't grow a proper moustache--that ain't me. I have thick facial hair--roomie.
Blogger pilgrim, at 2:51 AM  
Is this the guy you took naked pictures with in your prof's basement?
Blogger Amanda, at 3:56 PM  
AH--so you figured out who I am and are avoiding me!

(So where's the LOL smilie when you need it?):);)
Those will have to do...

Remember I have tales I could tell...
;)
Blogger pilgrim, at 10:46 PM  

Add a comment